Reading for Day 22
Surah 33. The Clans, The Coalition, The Combined Forces
- But any of you that is devout in the service of Allah and His Messenger, and works righteousness,— to her shall We grant her reward twice: and We have prepared for her a generous Sustenance.
- O Consorts of the Prophet! Ye are not like any of the (other) women: if ye do fear ((Allah)), be not too complacent of speech, lest one in whose heart is a disease should be moved with desire: but speak ye a speech (that is) just.
- And stay quietly in your houses, and make not a dazzling display, like that of the former Times of Ignorance; and establish regular Prayer, and give regular Charity; and obey Allah and His Messenger. And Allah only wishes to remove all abomination from you, ye members of the Family, and to make you pure and spotless.
- And recite what is rehearsed to you in your homes, of the Signs of Allah and His Wisdom: for Allah understands the finest mysteries and is well-acquainted (with them).
- For Muslim men and women,— for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,— for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.
- It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path.
- Behold! Thou didst say to one who had received the grace of Allah and thy favour: "Retain thou (in wedlock) thy wife, and fear Allah." But thou didst hide in thy heart that which Allah was about to make manifest: thou didst fear the people, but it is more fitting that thou shouldst fear Allah. Then when Zaid had dissolved (his marriage) with her, with the necessary (formality), We joined her in marriage to thee: in order that (in future) there may be no difficulty to the Believers in (the matter of) marriage with the wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have dissolved with the necessary (formality) (their marriage) with them. And Allah.s command must be fulfilled.
- There can be no difficulty to the Prophet in what Allah has indicated to him as a duty. It was the practice (approved) of Allah amongst those of old that have passed away. And the command of Allah is a decree determined.
- (It is the practice of those) who preach the Messages of Allah, and fear Him, and fear none but Allah. And enough is Allah to call (men) to account.
- Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: and Allah has full knowledge of all things.
- O ye who believe! Celebrate the praises of Allah, and do this often;
- And glorify Him morning and evening.
- He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers.
- Their salutation on the Day they meet Him will be "Peace!"; and He has prepared for them a generous Reward.
- O Prophet! Truly We have sent thee as a Witness, a Bearer of Glad Tidings, and Warner,—
- And as one who invites to Allah.s (grace) by His leave, and as a lamp spreading light.
- Then give the Glad Tidings to the Believers, that they shall have from Allah a very great Bounty.
- And obey not (the behests) of the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and heed not their annoyances, but put thy Trust in Allah. For enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.
- O ye who believe! When ye marry believing women, and then divorce them before ye have touched them, no period of 'Iddat have ye to count in respect of them: so give them a present. And set them free in a handsome manner.
- O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee; and daughters of thy paternal uncles and aunts, and daughters of thy maternal uncles and aunts, who migrated (from Makka) with thee; and any believing woman who dedicates her soul to the Prophet if the Prophet wishes to wed her;- this only for thee, and not for the Believers (at large); We know what We have appointed for them as to their wives and the captives whom their right hands possess;- in order that there should be no difficulty for thee. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.
- Thou mayest defer (the turn of) any of them that thou pleasest, and thou mayest receive any thou pleasest: and there is no blame on thee if thou invite one whose (turn) thou hadst set aside. This were nigher to the cooling of their eyes, the prevention of their grief, and their satisfaction — that of all of them — with that which thou hast to give them: and Allah knows (all) that is in your hearts: and Allah is All- Knowing, Most Forbearing.
- It is not lawful for thee (to marry more) women after this, nor to change them for (other) wives, even though their beauty attract thee, except any thy right hand should possess (as handmaidens): and Allah doth watch over all things.
- O ye who believe! Enter not the Prophet's houses,— until leave is given you,— for a meal, (and then) not (so early as) to wait for its preparation: but when ye are invited, enter; and when ye have taken your meal, disperse, without seeking familiar talk. Such (behaviour) annoys the Prophet: he is ashamed to dismiss you, but Allah is not ashamed (to tell you) the truth. And when ye ask (his ladies) for anything ye want, ask them from before a screen: that makes for greater purity for your hearts and for theirs. Nor is it right for you that ye should annoy Allah.s Messenger, or that ye should marry his widows after him at any time. Truly such a thing is in Allah's sight an enormity.
- Whether ye reveal anything or conceal it, verily Allah has full knowledge of all things.
- There is no blame (on these ladies if they appear) before their fathers or their sons, their brothers, or their brother's sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the (slaves) whom their right hands possess. And, (ladies), fear Allah. for Allah is Witness to all things.
- Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that believe! Send ye blessings on him, and salute him with all respect.
- Those who annoy Allah and His Messenger — Allah has cursed them in this World and in the Hereafter, and has prepared for them a humiliating Punishment.
- And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a glaring sin.
- O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.
- Truly, if the Hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and those who stir up sedition in the City, desist not, We shall certainly stir thee up against them: Then will they not be able to stay in it as thy neighbours for any length of time:
- They shall have a curse on them: whenever they are found, they shall be seized and slain (without mercy).
- (Such was) the practice (approved) of Allah among those who lived aforetime: No change wilt thou find in the practice (approved) of Allah.
- Men ask thee concerning the Hour: Say, "The knowledge thereof is with Allah (alone)": and what will make thee understand?— perchance the Hour is nigh!
- Verily Allah has cursed the Unbelievers and prepared for them a Blazing Fire,—
- To dwell therein for ever: no protector will they find, nor helper.
- The Day that their faces will be turned upside down in the Fire, they will say: "Woe to us! Would that we had obeyed Allah and obeyed the Messenger."
- And they would say: "Our Lord! We obeyed our chiefs and our great ones, and they misled us as to the (right) Path.
- "Our Lord! Give them double Penalty and curse them with a very great Curse!"
- O ye who believe! Be ye not like those who vexed and insulted Moses, but Allah cleared him of the (calumnies) they had uttered: and he was honourable in Allah's sight.
- O ye who believe! Fear Allah, and (always) say a word directed to the Right:
- That He may make your conduct whole and sound and forgive you your sins: He that obeys Allah and His Messenger, has already attained the highest achievement.
- We did indeed offer the Trust to the Heavens and the Earth and the Mountains; but they refused to undertake it, being afraid thereof: but man undertook it;- He was indeed unjust and foolish;-
- (With the result) that Allah has to punish the Hypocrites, men and women, and the Unbelievers, men and women, and Allah turns in Mercy to the Believers, men and women: for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Surah 34. Saba, Sheba
- Praise be to Allah, to Whom belong all things in the heavens and on earth: to Him be Praise in the Hereafter: and He is Full of Wisdom, acquainted with all things.
- He knows all that goes into the earth, and all that comes out thereof; all that comes down from the sky and all that ascends thereto and He is the Most Merciful, the Oft-Forgiving.
- The Unbelievers say, "Never to us will come the Hour": Say, "Nay! but most surely, by my Lord, it will come upon you;- by Him Who knows the unseen,— from Whom is not hidden the least little atom in the heavens or on earth: Nor is there anything less than that, or greater, but is in the Record Perspicuous:
- That He may reward those who believe and work deeds of righteousness: for such is Forgiveness and a Sustenance Most Generous."
- But those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them,— for such will be a Penalty,— a Punishment most humiliating.
- And those to whom knowledge has come see that the (Revelation) sent down to thee from thy Lord — that is the Truth, and that it guides to the Path of the Exalted (in might), Worthy of all praise.
- The Unbelievers say (in ridicule): "Shall we point out to you a man that will tell you, when ye are all scattered to pieces in disintegration, that ye shall (then be raised) in a New Creation?
- "Has he invented a falsehood against Allah, or has a spirit (seized) him?"— Nay, it is those who believe not in the Hereafter, that are in (real) Penalty, and in farthest error.
- See they not what is before them and behind them, of the sky and the earth? If We wished, We could cause the earth to swallow them up, or cause a piece of the sky to fall upon them. Verily in this is a Sign for every devotee that turns to Allah (in repentance).
- We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from ourselves: "O ye Mountains! Sing ye back the Praises of Allah with him! and ye birds (also)! And We made the iron soft for him;-
- (Commanding), "Make thou coast of mail, balancing well the rings of chain armour, and work ye righteousness; for be sure I see (clearly) all that ye do."
- And to Solomon (We made) the Wind (obedient): Its early morning (stride) was a month's (journey), and its evening (stride) was a month's (journey); and We made a Font of molten brass to flow for him; and there were Jinns that worked in front of him, by the leave of his Lord, and if any of them turned aside from our command, We made him taste of the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.
- They worked for him as he desired, (making) arches, images, basons as large as reservoirs, and (cooking) cauldrons fixed (in their places): "Work ye, sons of David, with thanks! but few of My servants are grateful!"
- Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death, nothing showed them his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task).
- There was, for Saba, aforetime, a Sign in their home-land — two Gardens to the right and to the left. "Eat of the Sustenance (provided) by your Lord, and be grateful to Him: a territory fair and happy, and a Lord Oft-Forgiving!
- But they turned away (from Allah., and We sent against them the Flood (released) from the dams, and We converted their two garden (rows) into "gardens" producing bitter fruit, and tamarisks, and some few (stunted) Lote-trees.
- That was the Requital We gave them because they ungratefully rejected Faith: and never do We give (such) requital except to such as are ungrateful rejecters.
- Between them and the Cities on which We had poured our blessings, We had placed Cities in prominent positions, and between them We had appointed stages of journey in due proportion: "Travel therein, secure, by night and by day."
- But they said: "Our Lord! Place longer distances between our journey- stages": but they wronged themselves (therein). At length We made them as a tale (that is told), and We dispersed them all in scattered fragments. Verily in this are Signs for every (soul that is) patiently constant and grateful.
- And on them did Satan prove true his idea, and they followed him, all but a party that believed.
- But he had no authority over them,— except that We might test the man who believes in the Hereafter from him who is in doubt concerning it: and thy Lord doth watch over all things.
- Say: "Call upon other (gods) whom ye fancy, besides Allah. They have no power,— not the weight of an atom,— in the heavens or on earth: No (sort of) share have they therein, nor is any of them a helper to Allah.
- "No intercession can avail in His Presence, except for those for whom He has granted permission. So far (is this the case) that, when terror is removed from their hearts (at the Day of Judgment, then) will they say, 'what is it that your Lord commanded?' they will say, 'That which is true and just; and He is the Most High Most Great'."
- Say: "Who gives you sustenance, from the heavens and the earth?" Say: "It is Allah. and certain it is that either we or ye are on right guidance or in manifest error!"
- Say: "Ye shall not be questioned as to our sins, nor shall we be questioned as to what ye do."
- Say: "Our Lord will gather us together and will in the end decide the matter between us (and you) in truth and justice: and He is the one to decide, the One Who knows all."
- Say: "Show me those whom ye have joined with Him as partners: by no means (can ye). Nay, He is Allah, the Exalted in Power, the Wise."
- We have not sent thee but as a universal (Messenger) to men, giving them glad tidings, and warning them (against sin), but most men understand not.
- They say: "When will this promise (come to pass) if ye are telling the truth?"
- Say: "The appointment to you is for a Day, which ye cannot put back for an hour nor put forward."
- The Unbelievers say: "We shall neither believe in this scripture nor in (any) that (came) before it." Couldst thou but see when the wrong-doers will be made to stand before their Lord, throwing back the word (of blame) on one another! Those who had been despised will say to the arrogant ones: "Had it not been for you, we should certainly have been believers!"
- The arrogant ones will say to those who had been despised: "Was it we who kept you back from Guidance after it reached you? Nay, rather, it was ye who transgressed.
- Those who had been despised will say to the arrogant ones: "Nay! it was a plot (of yours) by day and by night: Behold! Ye (constantly) ordered us to be ungrateful to Allah and to attribute equals to Him!" They will declare (their) repentance when they see the Penalty: We shall put yokes on the necks of the Unbelievers: It would only be a requital for their (ill) Deeds.
- Never did We send a warner to a population, but the wealthy ones among them said: "We believe not in the (Message) with which ye have been sent."
- They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons, and we cannot be punished."
- Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Provision to whom He pleases, but most men understand not."
- It is not your wealth nor your sons, that will bring you nearer to Us in degree: but only those who believe and work righteousness — these are the ones for whom there is a multiplied Reward for their deeds, while secure they (reside) in the dwellings on high!
- Those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them, will be given over into Punishment.
- Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Sustenance to such of his servants as He pleases: and nothing do ye spend in the least (in His cause) but He replaces it: for He is the Best of those who grant Sustenance.
- One Day He will gather them all together, and say to the angels, "Was it you that these men used to worship?"
- They will say, "Glory to Thee! our (tie) is with Thee — as Protector — not with them. Nay, but they worshipped the Jinns: most of them believed in them."
- So on that Day no power shall they have over each other, for profit or harm: and We shall say to the wrong-doers, "Taste ye the Penalty of the Fire,— the which ye were wont to deny!"
- When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, they say, "This is only a man who wishes to hinder you from the (worship) which your fathers practised." And they say, "This is only a falsehood invented!" and the Unbelievers say of the Truth when it comes to them, "This is nothing but evident magic!"
- But We had not given them Books which they could study, nor sent apostles to them before thee as Warners.
- And their predecessors rejected (the Truth); these have not received a tenth of what We had granted to those: yet when they rejected My apostles, how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)!
- Say: "I do admonish you on one point: that ye do stand up before Allah,— (It may be) in pairs, or (it may be) singly,— and reflect (within yourselves): your Companion is not possessed: he is no less than a warner to you, in face of a terrible Penalty."
- Say: "No reward do I ask of you: it is (all) in your interest: my reward is only due from Allah. And He is witness to all things."
- Say: "Verily my Lord doth cast the (mantle of) Truth (over His servants),— He that has full knowledge of (all) that is hidden."
- Say: "The Truth has arrived, and Falsehood neither creates anything new, nor restores anything."
- Say: "If I am astray, I only stray to the loss of my own soul: but if I receive guidance, it is because of the inspiration of my Lord to me: it is He Who hears all things, and is (ever) near."
- If thou couldst but see when they will quake with terror; but then there will be no escape (for them), and they will be seized from a position (quite) near.
- And they will say, "We do believe (now) in the (Truth)"; but how could they receive (Faith) from a position (so far off,—
- Seeing that they did reject Faith (entirely) before, and that they (continually) cast (slanders) on the unseen from a position far off?
- And between them and their desires, is placed a barrier, as was done in the past with their partisans: for they were indeed in suspicious (disquieting) doubt.
Surah 35. The Angels, Orignator
- Praise be to Allah, Who created (out of nothing) the heavens and the earth, Who made the angels, messengers with wings,— two, or three, or four (pairs): He adds to Creation as He pleases: for Allah has power over all things.
- What Allah out of his Mercy doth bestow on mankind there is none can withhold: what He doth withhold, there is none can grant, apart from Him: and He is the Exalted in Power, full of Wisdom.
- O men! Call to mind the grace of Allah unto you! is there a creator, other than Allah, to give you sustenance from heaven or earth? There is no god but He: how then are ye deluded away from the Truth?
- And if they reject thee, so were apostles rejected before thee: to Allah back for decision all affairs.
- O men! Certainly the promise of Allah is true. Let not then this present life deceive you, nor let the Chief Deceiver deceive you about Allah.
- Verily Satan is an enemy to you: so treat him as an enemy. He only invites his adherents, that they may become Companions of the Blazing Fire.
- For those who reject Allah, is a terrible Penalty: but for those who believe and work righteous deeds, is Forgiveness, and a magnificent Reward.
- Is he, then, to whom the evil of his conduct is made alluring, so that he looks upon it as good, (equal to one who is rightly guided)? For Allah leaves to stray whom He wills, and guides whom He wills. So let not thy soul go out in (vainly) sighing after them: for Allah knows well all that they do!
- It is Allah Who sends forth the Winds, so that they raise up the Clouds, and We drive them to a land that is dead, and revive the earth therewith after its death: even so (will be) the Resurrection!
- If any do seek for glory and power,— to Allah belong all glory and power. To Him mount up (all) Words of Purity: It is He Who exalts each Deed of Righteousness. Those that lay Plots of Evil,— for them is a Penalty terrible; and the plotting of such will be void (of result).
- And Allah did create you from dust; then from a sperm-drop; then He made you in pairs. And no female conceives, or lays down (her load), but with His knowledge. Nor is a man long-lived granted length of days, nor is a part cut off from his life, but is in a Decree (ordained). All this is easy to Allah.
- Nor are the two bodies of flowing water alike,— the one palatable, sweet, and pleasant to drink, and the other, salt and bitter. Yet from each (kind of water) do ye eat flesh fresh and tender, and ye extract ornaments to wear; and thou seest the ships therein that plough the waves, that ye may seek (thus) of the Bounty of Allah that ye may be grateful.
- He merges Night into Day, and he merges Day into Night, and he has subjected the sun and the moon (to his Law): each one runs its course for a term appointed. Such is Allah your Lord: to Him belongs all Dominion. And those whom ye invoke besides Him have not the least power.
- If ye invoke them, they will not listen to your call, and if they were to listen, they cannot answer your (prayer). On the Day of Judgment they will reject your "Partnership". and none, (O man!) can tell thee (the Truth) like the One Who is acquainted with all things.
- O ye men! It is ye that have need of Allah. but Allah is the One Free of all wants, worthy of all praise.
- If He so pleased, He could blot you out and bring in a New Creation.
- Nor is that (at all) difficult for Allah.
- Nor can a bearer of burdens bear another's burdens if one heavily laden should call another to (bear) his load. Not the least portion of it can be carried (by the other). Even though he be nearly related. Thou canst but admonish such as fear their Lord unseen and establish regular Prayer. And whoever purifies himself does so for the benefit of his own soul; and the destination (of all) is to Allah.
- The blind and the seeing are not alike;
- Nor are the depths of Darkness and the Light;
- Nor are the (chilly) shade and the (genial) heat of the sun:
- Nor are alike those that are living and those that are dead. Allah can make any that He wills to hear; but thou canst not make those to hear who are (buried) in graves.
- Thou art no other than a warner.
- Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past).
- And if they reject thee, so did their predecessors, to whom came their apostles with Clear Signs, Books of dark prophecies, and the Book of Enlightenment.
- In the end did I punish those who rejected Faith: and how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)!
- Seest thou not that Allah sends down rain from the sky? With it We then bring out produce of various colours. And in the mountains are tracts white and red, of various shades of colour, and black intense in hue.
- And so amongst men and crawling creatures and cattle, are they of various colours. Those truly fear Allah, among His Servants, who have knowledge: for Allah is Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving.
- Those who rehearse the Book of Allah, establish regular Prayer, and spend (in Charity) out of what We have provided for them, secretly and openly, hope for a commerce that will never fail:
- For He will pay them their meed, nay, He will give them (even) more out of His Bounty: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (service).
- That which We have revealed to thee of the Book is the Truth,— confirming what was (revealed) before it: for Allah is assuredly- with respect to His Servants — well acquainted and Fully Observant.
- Then We have given the Book for inheritance to such of Our Servants as We have chosen: but there are among them some who wrong their own souls; some who follow a middle course; and some who are, by Allah's leave, foremost in good deeds; that is the highest Grace.
- Gardens of Eternity will they enter: therein will they be adorned with bracelets of gold and pearls; and their garments there will be of silk.
- And they will say: "Praise be to Allah, Who has removed from us (all) sorrow: for our Lord is indeed Oft-Forgiving Ready to appreciate (service):
- "Who has, out of His Bounty, settled us in a Home that will last: no toil nor sense of weariness shall touch us therein."
- But those who reject ((Allah)) — for them will be the Fire of Hell: No term shall be determined for them, so they should die, nor shall its Penalty be lightened for them. Thus do We reward every ungrateful one!
- Therein will they cry aloud (for assistance): "Our Lord! Bring us out: we shall work righteousness, not the (deeds) we used to do!" — "Did We not give you long enough life so that he that would should receive admonition? and (moreover) the warner came to you. So taste ye (the fruits of your deeds): for the wrong-doers there is no helper."
- Verily Allah knows (all) the hidden things of the heavens and the earth: verily He has full knowledge of all that is in (men's) hearts.
- He it is That has made you inheritors in the earth: if, then, any do reject ((Allah)), their rejection (works) against themselves: their rejection but adds to the odium for the Unbelievers in the sight of their Lord: their rejection but adds to (their own) undoing.
- Say: "Have ye seen (these) 'Partners' of yours whom ye call upon besides Allah. Show Me what it is they have created in the (wide) earth. Or have they a share in the heavens? Or have We given them a Book from which they (can derive) clear (evidence)?— Nay, the wrong-doers promise each other nothing but delusions.
- It is Allah Who sustains the heavens and the earth, lest they cease (to function): and if they should fail, there is none — not one — can sustain them thereafter: Verily He is Most Forbearing, Oft-Forgiving.
- They swore their strongest oaths by Allah that if a warner came to them, they would follow his guidance better than any (other) of the Peoples: But when a warner came to them, it has only increased their flight (from righteousness),—
- On account of their arrogance in the land and their plotting of Evil, but the plotting of Evil will hem in only the authors thereof. Now are they but looking for the way the ancients were dealt with? But no change wilt thou find in Allah.s way (of dealing): no turning off wilt thou find in Allah's way (of dealing).
- Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them,— though they were superior to them in strength? Nor is Allah to be frustrated by anything whatever in the heavens or on earth: for He is All-Knowing. All-Powerful.
- If Allah were to punish men according to what they deserve. He would not leave on the back of the (earth) a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term: when their Term expires, verily Allah has in His sight all His Servants.
Surah 36. Ya-sin
- Ya Sin.
- By the Qur'an, full of Wisdom,—
- Thou art indeed one of the apostles,
- On a Straight Way.
- It is a Revelation sent down by (Him), the Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
- In order that thou mayest admonish a people, whose fathers had received no admonition, and who therefore remain heedless (of the Signs of Allah..
- The Word is proved true against the greater part of them: for they do not believe.
- We have put yokes round their necks right up to their chins, so that their heads are forced up (and they cannot see).
- And We have put a bar in front of them and a bar behind them, and further, We have covered them up; so that they cannot see.
- The same is it to them whether thou admonish them or thou do not admonish them: they will not believe.
- Thou canst but admonish such a one as follows the Message and fears the (Lord) Most Gracious, unseen: give such a one, therefore, good tidings, of Forgiveness and a Reward most generous.
- Verily We shall give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before and that which they leave behind, and of all things have We taken account in a clear Book (of evidence).
- Set forth to them, by way of a parable, the (story of) the Companions of the City. Behold!, there came apostles to it.
- When We (first) sent to them two apostles, they rejected them: But We strengthened them with a third: they said, "Truly, we have been sent on a mission to you."
- The (people) said: "Ye are only men like ourselves; and (Allah) Most Gracious sends no sort of revelation: ye do nothing but lie."
- They said: "Our Lord doth know that we have been sent on a mission to you:
- "And our duty is only to proclaim the clear Message."
- The (people) said: "for us, we augur an evil omen from you: if ye desist not, we will certainly stone you. And a grievous punishment indeed will be inflicted on you by us."
- They said: "Your evil omens are with yourselves: (deem ye this an evil omen). If ye are admonished? Nay, but ye are a people transgressing all bounds!"
- Then there came running, from the farthest part of the City, a man, saying, "O my people! Obey the apostles:
- "Obey those who ask no reward of you (for themselves), and who have themselves received Guidance.
- "It would not be reasonable in me if I did not serve Him Who created me, and to Whom ye shall (all) be brought back.
- "Shall I take (other) gods besides Him? If (Allah) Most Gracious should intend some adversity for me, of no use whatever will be their intercession for me, nor can they deliver me.
- "I would indeed, if I were to do so, be in manifest Error.
- "For me, I have faith in the Lord of you (all): listen, then, to me!"
- It was said: "Enter thou the Garden." He said: "Ah me! Would that my People knew (what I know)!-
- "For that my Lord has granted me Forgiveness and has enrolled me among those held in honour!"
- And We sent not down against his People, after him, any hosts from heaven, nor was it needful for Us so to do.
- It was no more than a single mighty Blast, and behold! they were (like ashes) quenched and silent.
- Ah! Alas for (My) Servants! There comes not an apostle to them but they mock him!
- See they not how many generations before them we destroyed? Not to them will they return:
- But each one of them all — will be brought before Us (for judgment).